Looking for adventures? Then this trip is for you!
I bought my plane ticket Manila to Cebu then Bacolod to Manila for Php 2,888 but you can get it for a cheaper price during seat sale. I usually wait for promos but I was so excited to do this trip so I bought it without a second thought! *wink*
Summer is the best time to travel but if you don’t want a crowded environtment, then go during rainy season just like what I did.
🍂🍂🍂🍂DAY 1 🍂🍂🍂🍂
✈️🚌HOW TO GET THERE:
1. Upon arrival at Mactan-Cebu International Airport, take a taxi cab going to South Bus Terminal (SBT). It will take for about 30-40 mins depending on the traffic.
2. From SBT, ride a bus Bato via Barili. Tell the driver to drop you off in Matutinao Beach Resort, Badian. (2-3hrs)
3. From there, meet up your tour guide or just choose out of many tour guides who will bombard you upon arrival.
Mostly jumping a lot of falls, swimming, passing through caves, sliding! (Mas exciting sya kesa nung naging kayo ng dyowa mo bes!)
If you want to see the videos of this awesome adventure, visit my facebook account: Rohjean Alberto 🙈
**Contact: Kawasan Canyoneering: 09053332623 or https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009330467592&tsid=0.024114099659979016&source=typeahead
Inclusions: tour guide, lunch, aqua shoes, dry bag, life vest, bottled water
There are locales who sell barbeques halfway of canyoneering trail. Grilled meats, hotdogs, seafoods are just irresistable! (Warning: Magiging para kang timawang mandirigma na di nakakain ng sampung taon sa gutom at pagod mo!)
3. SWIMMING IN KAWASAN FALLS
4. Waterfalls massage (optional with a fee)
Lunch is included in the tour
Just snacks for dinner since you will be sleepy than hungry! 😂
🍃🍃SAFE BUDGET: 2,500 pesos My actual itinerary and budget:
1:00 AM -Arrived at Mactan Airport
1:15 AM -Taxi from airport to Cebu South Bus Terminal (PHP300)
3:55 AM -Visited my friend’s transient
4:10 AM – Breakfast in seven eleven (PHP100)
4:45 AM -Departed from South Bus Terminal to Badian (PHP130 for non-aircon bus)
7:15 AM -Arrived in Matutinao Beach Resort
8:00 AM -Start of Canyoneering (PHP1,500)
2:00 PM -End of Canyoneering
2:30 PM -Free lunch
3:00PM -Took a shower and fixed our stuffs
4PM-Bus from Matutinano to Bato Terminal (PHP60)
4:15PM -Bus from Bato Terminal to Oslob Town Proper (PHP30 non-airconditioned)
7:00 PM -Settled in Castroverde Inn (PHP300/each, room for 2 pax)
Total: PHP 2,420
1. If you are planning to visit Cebu only, make sure this will be your last activity. (Kapagod sya, namaga buong katawan ko beshhy!)
2. Make sure you have underwater camera/s to capture your adventure. It is a necessity!
3. Bring money since you can buy food along the way. Just put it in the dry bag that the tour guide will give you.
4. Aqua shoes are provided but if you are a little bit sensitive, you can also bring your own since a lot of people used those already. (Kung nagtitipid ka kagaya ko, G na yan!)
5. Make sure that you rest well the night before the activity. (Baka naginom ka pa kagabi, goodluck na lang sayo bes!) **Optional: Pwede mong murahin yung ex o boss mo habang tumatalon sa falls, ilabas mo yan. Charaught lang!!
6. For girls like me who also believe that kilay is life, use water-resistant eyeliners!! (Bes bawat talon ko ng falls, nababawasan ng nababawasan yung kilay ko. Pagtapos ng canyoneering wala ng natira!!)
✈️🚌HOW TO GET THERE:
1. From Matutinao Beach Resort in Badian, ride a bus to Bato Terminal. About an hour trip.
2. In Bato Terminal, catch the bus going to Oslob and tell the driver to drop you off in the Tan-awan beach or Oslob Town Proper. (Choose Tan-awan beach if you want to do the activity directly or look for an accommodation nearby. Choose Oslob Town Proper if you want to look out for a cheaper accomodation then proceed to the beach by habal habal).
**Suggestion: If you will drop off in Oslob town proper, meet kuya Pol (tour guide) and he will bring you in your inn via habal-habal. If you don’t want a guide, you can also find your own accomodation there since there are a lot to choose from. After settling your things in your room, tell your tour guide to bring you in Tan-awan beach or just take a habal habal, tricycle or bus to bring you there (it will take you only for about 10-15 mins).
(From Mactan-Cebu International Airport)
1. Take a taxi cab to South Bus Terminal
2. From there, ride a bus to Oslob
3. Drop off in the Tan-awan beach or Oslob Town Proper
Kuya Pol (Tour guide): 09420258021
1. Swimming with the gentle whalesharks for half an hour
2. Side trip: Sumilon Island
Take your lunch at the beach, the foods are delicious and the prices are reasonable.
Dinner and drinks at MWR bar. There are also stores and few karinderya at Oslob Town Proper.
🍃🍃SAFE BUDGET: 2,000 pesos
For the whole day including transpo, food, activities and accomodation
Accomodation in Oslob Town Proper: PHP300 (single bedroom)
Swimming with whalesharks: PHP500 /30 minutes
Sumilon Island: PHP425
Entrance fee: PHP50
Kuya Pol’s fee (tour guide/driver) : PHP150/each
Night out: PHP100
1. If you don’t have your own underwater camera, you can rent one. It will range from 300-500 pesos for an hour.
2. Do not put any sunblock since it is harmful to the gentle whalesharks. (Maitim na talaga tayo beshy, wag na maginarte!)
3. Just give your underwater camera to your guide and they will do the magic! (Hassler sila magpicture bes, parang nagmasteral ng photography)
4. If you are scared of the whalesharks, DO NOT FACE THEM AND JUST ALWAYS LOOK AT THE CAMERA 😉😂
🍃🍃ACCOMODATION (Day 1 and 2):
There are a lot of accomodation in Badian but we choose to spend the night in Oslob for us to be prepared early for our activities the next day. **Matutinao Beach Resort also offers aircon and non-aircon rooms so just check out their rates online.
As for us, we traveled from Badian to Oslob right after we finished the canyoneering. In Oslob, we stayed in 🏠“CASTROVERDE HOMESTAY”
Rates: 600 pesos/night (for two pax already)
**I was alone on the 2nd night so I had to move to a smaller room. The owner is giving it for 400pesos/night but I use my “tawad” skills and haggled it for 300 pesos 😂 It’s already an air-conditioned room with a free wi-fi.
📍DUMAGUETE, NEGROS OCCIDENTAL
✈️🚌HOW TO GET THERE:
1. Ride a bus from Oslob town proper or Tan-awan beach to Santander Port (45mins-1hr)
2. From there, take a boat going to Sibulan Port. (1 hour) Here’s the schedule:
3. Upon arrival, ride a jeep going to Dumaguete City. Tell the driver to drop you off at the “Bricks” (15-20 mins)
4. At the “Bricks”, take a tricycle and alight at Harold’s Mansion. Or if you prefer other accomodation, just tell the driver to drop you there. (10-15 mins)
(From Dumaguete airport)
1. Upon arrival at the airport, just ride a tricycle and tell the driver to drop you off at Harold’s mansion or other accomodation.
1. Visit all the tourist spots in Dumaguete City.
Since Harold’s mansion is near to these popular places, it is recommended to just walk around the whole vicinity. Harold’s is just a few blocks away from Siliman University, start from there!
2. Your visit there won’t be complete without trying their delicacies! Try the kuripot pizzas in Neva’s pizza, cakes and sansrival in Silvana’s, street food with bomb sauce along rizal boulevard. From cheapest to high-end, a lot of restaurants to choose from.
3. Night life! The most popular resto bar there is Hayahay, it’s a treetop bar! From Harold’s mansion, just ride a tricycle going there. There are also a lot of resto bars beside it. One of them is Lantaw, my favourite!
4. Enjoy the sunset at Rizal Boulevard. There are some musicians who will approach and seranade you! Sunset, good music plus the delicious street food, what else you could ask for? 😉
5. Reflect. You will pass through a lot of churches there, ending your day with a simple thank you to the man above will be the best!
🍃🍃SAFE BUDGET: 1,000 pesos only!
Actual itinerary and expenses:
9:45 AM -Departed from Oslob town proper to Santander port (PHP32, airconditioned bus)
10:30 AM -Arrived in Santander port
11:00 AM -Boat departed to Sibulan port (62php)
11:25 AM -Arrived in Sibulan port
11:30 AM -Jeep to Dumaguete city and drop off at the Bricks (PHP11)
11:45 AM -Tricycle from Bricks to Harold’s (PHP10)
12:00 PM -Checked in at Harold’s (300/night for dormitory room plus 250 deposit)
12:30 PM -Walked from Harold’s to Siliman University, Silvana’s Pastry Shop (PHP120) Belfry tower (PHP20 pesos for candles) , San Agustin Church, Rizal Blvd (PHP40 for street food and PHP25 donation to a street artist) and Siliman University Church
6:00 PM -Rest at Harold’s
7:00 PM -Hayahay (nightlife): 200
*Tricycle to Hayahay and return: 20
1. Since you will do a lot of walking, always bring a bottled water. You can refill your water at Harold’s mansion for free! 😉 (Magtipid ka bes, malayo pa lalakbayin mo!)
2. Drop your things at Harold’s mansion before doing the tour. There are lockers inside the room. Just bring water, towel, money, phone or camera, extra battery and you’re good to go! (Beshy di ka magbubundok ha, baka yung dala mo pang-isang buwan)
3. Another tipid tip? take your free breakfast at Harold’s. I think it’s available 7 or 8 o’clock in the morning. (Late ko na to nalaman bes! SAYANG ANG LIBRENG TINAPAY! capslock para intense)
4. If your tamad, you can always take a tricycle to go to the places you want to visit since it will cost you only 10 pesos per way 😉 (Di sila nammresyo dito, honest sila di gaya ng dyowa mong wala daw iba)
They offer different kinds of room but I choose the dormitory type. It will only cost you 300 pesos per night. The room can accommodate max of 12 people. The dormitory for men and women are separated. Usually your roommates will be foreigners, or backpackers like me. If you prefer a solo room, they have a lot and price varies from 500-1,000+. Just check out their website!
Note: They also offer tours!
✈️🚌HOW TO GET THERE:
1. At Harold’s mansion, take a tricycle to Dumaguete port. (You can also walk since it’s not too far)
2. From there, ride a boat going to Siquijor. (2hrs) A lot of ferry companies to choose from.
3. There you go, start the tour! 🏃♀️
**Note: There’s no flight directly to Siquijor so it’s the only way to go there.
(From Siquijor back to Dumaguete)
1. In Siquijor port, just catch the boat going to Dumaguete port. For those travelers who want to take the last trip like me, take the roro (roll on, roll off) ship which departs at 6 o’clock in the evening.
2. From Dumaguete port, ride a tricycle or just walk to Harold’s mansion.
1. Take a tour of the whole island!! You can roam around the whole place for a day since the island is not so big. If you have a driver’s license, you can rent a single motorcycle for only 300 pesos/day. You will feel like a locale by driving around alone 😁 If you are with a group, you can rent a tricycle with a driver. It costs 1,500 for the whole day tour. The driver will also serves as your tour guide. For a solo traveler like me who did not bring a driver’s license, you can rent a single motorcycle with a driver for 1,000.
2. Chill and kill some time beside the Lagoon
3. FISH SPA in Balete tree fish spa for only 10 pesos! Supposed to be I’m going to just tell the expenses at the latter part but I’m just excited to tell how cheap it was! ❤️
4. Be like Tarzan at Cabughayay falls. Check out the video I uploaded. There’s no fee to pay but just a donation. Don’t be thrifty with the locales please! 😉
5. Cliff jumping and sliding at Salogdoong beach!! It’s deadly but if you’re a free-spirited person, go for it!! 💪
6. Instagram-worthy pictures at Treetop spring. Of course you can experience the water spring during summer!
🍃🍃SAFE BUDGET: 1,500 pesos
ACTUAL ITINERARY AND EXPENSES:
From Harold’s to Ceres Bus station: PHP10
Bus to Bacolod: PHP280 (non-aircon), PHP387 for aircon bus
Jeepney going to plaza: PHP7 pesos
Pedicab to accomodation: PHP30 pesos
Taxi to Starplus pension: PHP100
Accommodation (star plus pension house): PHP550/night
Tricycle to plaza: PHP50
Food: -breaky and snacks: PHP150
Lunch and dinner: PHP150
Tricycle to find the pension house: PHP60
Tricycle to plaza and Lacson: PHP100
1. Even you’re not a morning person, try to wake up as early as you can so that you have a lot of time to roam around the island. (In short: wag ako tularan!)
2. Have a heavy breakfast (In short: wag uli ako tularan! Na-late nagising, di nakapag-breakfast, nanghina habang nagtu-tour huhu)
3. Visit the place during summer! (Kamusta naman yung nakamotor habang umuulan?! 😂)
I still went back to Dumaguete since aside from the fact that I don’t have the guts to stay overnight there alone, there’s a festival in Dumaguete during that I want to witness. There are a lot of cheap places to stay in Siquijor, just ask the locales or the drivers. It ranges from Php300-1,000++
📍BACOLOD CITY, NEGROS ORIENTAL
✈️🚌HOW TO GET THERE:
1. From Harold’s mansion, ride a tricycle to Ceres bus terminal. (10-15minutes)
2. Take a bus going to Bacolod City. (6-7 hrs)
3. From Bacolod Ceres bus terminal, ride a tricycle and tell the driver to drop you off at Star Plus Pension or to your preferred accommodation.
1. Masskara festival (October)
This festival during October is very famous that lots of people travel all the way to Bacolod just to witness this fab event yearly.
I had fun with the rides and games they have there. But what I enjoyed the most was observing the people around. They are so happy with this simple festivities, making me believe that it is indeed the city of smile.
3. The Ruins
This is the best chill place in Bacolod! Night time is the best time to go here since there would be amazing lights all over the place. I love the ambiance most especially there is a classic piano music you always hear from the cozy cafe infront of the Ruins. You will appreciate the place even better by listening to your tour guide.
4. Massage from the blind
- Always be vigilant to your surroundings. Bacolod city for me has almost the same situation in Manila. Crowded people, the polution, crimes, and such. Actually I don’t recommend this place to solo travelers like me. This is not a safe place as you think it is.
- When you check-in to inns or hotels, don’t expect that you will be staying there with travelers like you. No, you won’t! Unfortunately, most of the people that you will be with are couples who will just “stay” there for some hours. Legit af, my friend.
- If you want to feel the province life of Negros, it would be best to stay in Silay or some other liblib places there.
- Memorize the streets which you can ride jeepneys. There are only certain routes for the public utility vehicles.
It is the most cheapest decent accommodation I saw after searching for almost half a day. It has old mini TV with cable, aircon, own shower and toilet, 1 single bed. I would recommend this pension if you are on a tight budget. But if you are willing to spend some bucks, it is better to stay in a hotel.
Supposed to be I will be going home on Day 6 early morning but my flight was cancelled and it was moved on the next day. It gave me a lot of frustrations at the beginning since I had to call Cebu pac hundred times just to reissue my ticket! Not to mention the trouble I had to inform my boss that I will be absent for that day. Another costs for the accommodation, food and such. To top it all, the new flight that was given to me was delayed! And all I get from them is a Jollibee 1-pc chicken joy. I ate it without any joy!! (Pls excuse my rants 😂)